Ladies I hope you find yourself well this day as we get ready to read three of the fruits of the Spirit.
When I was meditating on kindness, goodness and gentleness I thought did I have any of these before I had Jesus? The answer is a bit confusing at first as I tried to justify all with excuses as to why I didn’t have them. In the end it was a big NO.
I will try to make it short here, knowing these are non magical mythical definition, we all know what they mean right? But are we still acting in a manner that would sadden God? As humans we are so quick to justify our actions and words. Quick to blame others for our lack of kindness, these are fruits of the spirit for a reason. It’s everything the flesh hates discipline and scripture says the spirit is willing but the flesh isn’t. We can not be woman of God and pick n’ choose what fruits we like and simply blame our race, parents, upbringing, character and personality as to why we don’t have the others. Now those things are part of the reasons why we struggle to bear these fruits but we have a huge helper, The Holy Spirit. It’s a whole package deal here. In Galatians he’s saying: these are the things that you should develop, you should show, you should pray for, you should have now that you’re children of God. We sometimes like the love part of the fruits but not kindness, gentleness & goodness. We don’t realize that IF we have love as one of the fruits we are called to the rest of these wonderful fruits.
So here are just a few ways God has helped my heart and soul in developing these precious gifts.
I might not go around physically hurting anyone but what about my words? Scripture says we have the power to curse others or bless them with our words. I might not of hurt anyone with my hands but with my words I have left hundreds of scars on people who to this day show fruits of sadness. This is something I’ve been able to (miraculously) handle after truly asking God to shed light on the unkindness of my heart.
- Being kind with my words, that means blasphemy towards God, my family, my coworkers and strangers. Proverbs 31:26 She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
- Show kindness with action, I always think of Jesus when he helped the blind and sick. Though I am not Jesus I can help those who are sick with my actions. Watch over their children, cook them a meal, help a single mom have a day off. 1 John 3:18 Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.
- To resist talking bad about my brother and sister in Christ. Anyone for that matter. If it’s not good, if it’s not profitable I must resist and show kindness no matter how angry I might me or how right I am about the person. Ephesians 4:32Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.
“Kindness, an attribute of God and quality desirable but not consistently found in humans”
- In a woman is not a mere passive quality, but the deliberate preference of right to wrong, the firm and persistent resistance of all moral evil, and the choosing and following of all moral good. Best definition I found by biblestudy.com
- Refuse to seek vengeance. For me it was talking terribly about other woman who made up lies about me. To truly love those who lied about me, especially my sisters in Christ. Galatians 6:10 So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.
- I begged The Holy Spirit to fill me with goodness so I may see when the world was trying to blind me, that I might have discernment between all good thoughts and those from the enemy. Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
- sensitivity of disposition and kindness of behavior, founded on strength and prompted by love.
This one oh boy, first I want to share with you that for the longest time I blamed my Mexican roots for the lack of gentleness. I blamed my tough love upbringing. I blamed my rough childhood experiences with abuse. The truth is when I returned to Jesus as I read this, I tought ” nope, I’m good (heavy Mexican accent) I don’t need to be gentle. People will walk all over me”. Then I knew if I kept thinking this way I would never bear this fruit. So there I was on my knees. Asking God to teach me how to be gentle like him. Let believers clothe themselves “with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience” Col 3
- Again having control over my mouth and words. Titus 3:2 To speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.
- After I returned to Christ oh I judged all people with an iron fist, (I forgot I was a sinner too ha!) 1 Peter 3:15 But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect.
- As a mother and wife, God softened my heart to love my daughters and husband beyond serving them at home. I craved the need to share the gentleness with them and the best way was to be gentle myself .
I’m sure I missed many great examples of ways the Lord has called us to bear these wonderfully hard gifts from The Holy Spirit. I would love to hear yours!
But I wanted to share with you ladies the places I needed to bear fruit in my life. The places I pray for everyday. The places I have yet to grow in.
The Holy Spirit corrects me daily, and I’m forever great full for the opportunity to have this precious guide in my heart, mind and soul. All by God’s Grace.
Much love, Ana Nelson